Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rainy Rain

I have come to a conclusion regarding cycling in the rain:

FENDERS ARE WORTHLESS.

Not that mine are on at the moment, but I can imagine how it would go. You just have to realize that rain falls OUT OF THE SKY and does not spin up off your wheels. Some of it that has already fallen MAY INDEED come spinning up off your wheels, but that will be the THE MINORITY compared to the vast quantity of droplets coming down (and, in San Francisco, oftentimes sideways) directly on your head, thighs, shoulders, face.

You will need a rain jacket and certainly rain pants AND SHOES WITH GRIP. At that point, having a fender, not having a fender -- what is the difference? You will be protected from any and all water, whether it comes out of the sky or off of your wheels.

I rode from Caltrain to the Castro yesterday and it was so incredibly soggy. That, and glasses do not have wind shield wipers! Nor do they have..."glasses wipers."

This morning it was still raining, so I decided to do the BART/walk thing. Really, though, it wasn't THAT much drier and it took longer, of course. I guess the other reason, though, is that I'm planning on hightailing it over to the Kabuki after work to catch a flick before bed, which is INCREDIBLY irresponsible, given my current zombie state. We'll see. I suppose I could've biked, but, you know, zombie state. I need some sleep first.

2 comments:

  1. When I drive, most of the water on my windshield is kicked up from the car in front of me, not the sky. But I think you're right in that fenders wouldn't solve the problem, since they don't stop ground water. Maybe something like the mud flaps on the back of trucks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the fenders should actually stop the water coming off the wheels. At least, if they are good fenders @_@ Mine aren't on yet, so it's hard to tell yet if mine qualify as that.

    ReplyDelete

Please to Meet