Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Downtown Campbell VTA to Lark and University, Los Gatos

Exhibit A

So it turns out the safest way to get from the Winchester VTA to work is to actually get off in Downtown Campbell instead and take the Creek Trail. So the full morning commute looks something like this (and we'll even color-code it for no reason other than that my blog is just that exciting):

San Francisco (not pictured)

1. Left 21st to Valencia (See if you can make it down Valencia without any red lights!)
2. Right on 14th
3. Left on Folsom
4. Right on 4th
5. Take Caltrain to San Jose Diridon (And don't be asleep when you get there and have to ask someone if you are in San Jose.)

San Jose (not pictured)

6. Transfer to the light rail going to Winchester
7. Try not to kill yourself (or onlookers or your bike or their bikes) hanging your bike on the rack
8. Get off at the Downtown Campbell station

Campbell/Los Gatos (see exhibit A)

9. Find Sam Cava Lane (I thought this would be hard, but it was just about the first street sign I squinted at. You get off on the left and it is continuing left across the street.)
10. Becomes Gilman Ave
11. Right into that park
12. Right once you enter the Los Gatos Creek Trail
13. Exit at Lark Ave
14. Don't kill yourself turning/walking left onto University (This is another turn I'll have to work up to -- I generally do that one on the way home left onto Harrison now.)

I got to work only a little while after I normally do, i.e. still early. They have confusing bike racks. I didn't really end up figuring it out. Seems like some people just stash their bikes in the game room -- maybe I will see about that.

Now that I know where the Lark exit is, the trail will be easier. And now that I know what a complete pain in the ass biking with a laptop backpack full of laptop and co. is, I will INSTALL MY RACK. I'm not sure getting my bike in the racks on VTA will ever be any easier.

Here is a photo I am using without permission:

(Thanks, wingless, unless you would rather I take it down, which I can and promptly.)

What's funny is that that bike is actually a later version of my bike, which is ALSO the bike that Noel rides. Anyhow, you can see what I have to contend with in the morning without me explaining how difficult it must be even when there are no other bikes, such as above, NEVERMIND the possibility of their already being a bike and its owner present and asking if you need assistance while you try to drive your vehicle up the wall and hook it precariously from this little peg on the top. Grah.

I guess I need to work now. That is what I came here for, after all. BIKE TO WORK DAY is tomorrow, kids, but once you figure out how to do it, you might as well keep on doing it, right? RIGHT? You will have such buff legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please to Meet