Friday, May 22, 2009

My First Handlebar Flip


Some readers may find this ironic considering yesterday's post...

This morning by the overpass I crashed my bike. Luckily, though half of Los Gatos appeared to be entering that freeway, no one ran me over. Actually two people asked if I needed help, but I did not.

Let's see. So the thing about the overpass is making sure you don't get forced onto the onramp, right? I was trying to get into the actual lane. I think the key is probably to make sure you are in the lane BEFORE THE HOLE IN THE ROAD.

I wish I had a picture of the offending hole, but alas, I do not.

Anyhow, what happened is that I did not get over in time to avoid this hole well (perhaps I should've tried to hop it?) and did not want to ride into traffic so I tried to slow down, but did not really manage it. At all, in fact. Hit the hole, and yeah, I will admit to a bit of panic braking at that point.

(I've said in other places that every FML is my fault -- this one is no different.)

Continuing forward motion carried me in a seemily graceful roll over the top of my bike and into the street tangled up in everything. I was wearing a full backpack, so I don't think my helmet even hit the ground until I was lying on my side pinned half under the bike. Shrugged out of the bag and managed to get everything onto the sidewalk pretty quickly. My front light broke. Hope there's a warranty.

Luckily this mess happened on the side of the road (since if I had been in the left lane like I should've been, this wouldn't have happened) so no one was in imminent danger of running me over. In fact, I have hypothesized that it is actually a good thing this happened where it did, by the overpass, because cars were automatically aware that I needed to get out of that lane (it's possible I had even signaled once -- don't recall) and were slowing down around me already. Of course, it meant there were plenty of people to witness this spectacular feat of bicycle fail, but so it goes.

So far, I have recorded various bruises and a couple scrapes, most notably on my hip. I'm glad I was carrying so much stuff, because I feel like if I hadn't been as padded this would've been a lot worse. I even had my big headphones around my neck because they wouldn't fit in the bag, so I imagine they would've done a half-way decent job of keeping things braced if my head HAD hit. I inspected my helmet, though, and it really doesn't look like it was touched. Pretty clean roll.

Anyways, I stood there and teared up for a minute. More just out of stress than anything. Tried to Tweet, but my phone had no reception (which later turned into no nothing -- all I get when I turn it on is a "Contact Service" message -- new phone time, booooo). Thought about trying to call Noel (since he has a car, and wasn't at work yet) but decided that since my bike seemed fine (tested the breaks, etc.) I would just get back in the saddle and ride it. That and my phone was busted.

Was very happy to get clear of the overpass.

Rest of the ride passed without incident, thankfully. Tonight I have to bike to Winchester, and then home from Caltrain, but that should be no sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please to Meet