Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Word About My Bicycle Blog

It's not laid out yet. I'm just starting. I'm also just starting the whole bicycle thing (albeit not from scratch), but that is a different post. No, this post is about the title, because I feel like it might be necessary.

If I feel it is necessary to write an explanation, then why did I choose such a title?

That is a very good question!

Clearly (if you are a geek?) the title is Engrish in the same vein as "Please to enjoy." Maybe there are some people who employ this type of common ESL error in hurtful ways, and those people are losers. Whenever I see or hear this wording, though, it just makes me feel happy. It gives off very genuine, earnest, and upbeat vibes. As it happens, that is also the way I feel about my bicycle and learning to commute and starting this blog. Thus, "Please to Bicycle." (Incidentally, I also just like the way it looks aesthetically. The other top choice was Ride a Bike, but I didn't want "bike" to ever be construed as "motorbike," and "Ride a Bicycle" just doesn't have the same ring.)

Maybe even having this "About" disclaimer somehow makes me racist, but I don't think so. I really hope not.

I guess the other bottom line here is that this is my blog and I can't imagine many people checking it out, although I will try to provide useful and interesting content/links alongside the mundane tales of commutership and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please to Meet