Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lost in Presido-land

Ohhhhhh boy. Today was a long day -- and cold! But yes, let me tell you what happened with the bike route. Instead of sticking with what I know (Kabuki) I decided to go for mileage. "Ah ha, the Presidio! That sounds far!" I thought. INDEED.

The Presidio is also a maze, and it didn't help that I was going to a place that doesn't yet exist (the Disney Museum), and to a building that is part of that place, but not at the main address. Anyways, this is more or less the route I took. I am too lazy to show that I missed the Mariposa turn and went all the way to sixteenth before heading East, etc.



You may recognize this as part of this Bikely route, which loops the city in about 30 miles. I'd wager this is about a third of it? Less than half, but still a pretty substantial chunk. Obviously a little round about, but for a reason, since you're not pushing up any hills or heading down Van Ness, which seems like sheer madness. Not that the Embarcadero wasn't busy on a farmer's market morning, but they have a bike lane ;D

I actually got quite lost before I even got to the museum the first time. Just in the Presidio. What is it about this place? I guess if I had a map (or iPhone!) it would help. Anyways, so I tooled around there for a while before finding the museum, but what I saw was the clearly under-construction main building, and not the hall where the reception was taking place. I think part of my problem was that I thought I was taking tickets, since that's what I signed up to do. I had heard of the Letterman Digital Arts Center (Is that what it's called?) in relation to this event as well, so then I figured it must be over there, so I called my friend Xav for an address, which it did not really have, aside from cross streets.

Later on I realized I could've just cut through some places, but I ended up going all the way back to Mason and missing a turn and going down Laguna to Chestnut and then still ending up frightfully lost for quite some time even though I was in the correct complex. There just weren't any signs...at all. The Yoda fountain, though, I did finally find that. (I love that it has its own Yelp page XD) 

So I parked my bike, got it locked up well (easier to do it around actually bike parking spots than streets signs, when it comes to the thickness of my frame and whatnot), and went inside only to find that actually, my shift was working the after party which WAS back at the Disney Museum (but at a hall around the corner). I got minorly lost on the way back there, but eventually found it. 

So my reward for something like 2 hours of biking was four hours on my feet volunteering, but it was really worthwhile :D (A story for a different blog, perhaps.) Also, I'm pretty psyched about having biked such a "long" way. (Yeah, I know it's nothing, but I've only been at this for...two weeks?) I guess that must've been around 12 miles, at least? So it seems that I am definitely capable of doing my the "to" part of my commute. I cheated today and got "from" taken care of by the bf in his Outback: X but hey, baby steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please to Meet