Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bike Shop Happy Hour vs. The Shopping List

Valencia Cyclery is having a happy hour event on Thursdays this month where clothes and accessories are 20% off between 5 and 7 PM. Today (later...like after the sun comes back up) is the last day I will be able to go since I'll be commuting home next week, so it looks like I have some shopping to do. I'm wonder what of the things I want/need I should try to get. Here are some things I have come up with that would be nice to have:

Repair kit

This is sort of necessary, but I think what I need to find out is the extent. I've heard all you REALLY need is "two spare tubes, tire wrenches, and a pump." Maybe a multi-tool. *doesn't even know (yet) what a multi-tool is* I do want to learn some basic repair stuff just in case, though, as you can tell if you've browse my links.

Fenders

Duh.

Rain Clothes

My mom shipped out my rain jacket, but I wonder if that will be too big to ride in. Even with a jacket, though, my legs and feet will get soaked. Trying to figure out what to do. They certainly make rain pants and covers for shoes and things.

Clothes in general

I'd like to get a pair or two of straight leg skinny jeans to wear when I'm riding around town, but I'm not sure what to wear for the commute (which I guess I still haven't explained in detail -- next post). I guess just whatever is comfortable, since it will be disgusting by the time I get to work anyhow. Luckily, I hear they have showers.

Eye Gear

I have a lot of problems with wind in eyes making them tear up completely so I can't see anything. Not exactly the safest way to ride, one-handedly while trying to dab under your glasses with the other hand, nor does it look cool to be crying and biking down the street, lol. I don't have a solution here yet. Some people say wrap around sunglasses'll do it, but I feel like I would a) need sunglasses but also not sunglasses, since I will eventually be riding at night, I think and b) something that goes over my glasses. Maybe goggles? I hear they fog up. I don't know!

Gloves

This is a must. When I went to Xav's house (which I could map out in a future post -- it's about a five mile ride) my hands were so cold! Of course, that was pretty tricky because I hit the fog wall. Got super cold and damp. I need a better jacket for this type of thing, too *mentally adds that to the general clothing section* Seems like fingerless gloves would be the way to go? I don't really expect it to keep my hands warm, per se; just cutting the wind would be nice.

Water Bottle Holders

This is another no-brainer, but the bike didn't come with even one, so I will have to figure it out.

Rack and Bags

Yes, the pannier debate continues. Biking with my backpack on is not such a big deal, but it really depends what is in it. Right now I have biked comfortable with a notebook, textbook, and the bike lock, along with some incidentals like cash, cards, DS, maybe a couple CDs -- whatever.

The thing is if I am taking fresh clothes, food, my laptop, etc, then it could get bulky. I can recognize the fact that having panniers will make me feel like I can carry more when it will still be just as hard to move the bike with more stuff on it. I think my real dilemma is that I don't want to just get one big, waterproof bag, since that would throw off the balance. I was thinking if I carry my laptop and maybe clothes in one back, and everything else (toys, books, food) in the other bag, then it would be ok, but I wonder how much that really is.

Also I'm just really paranoid about how to make sure none of this stuff falls off in the middle of the street. Plus I like feeling pretty narrow -- fit more places and cars are less likely to clip you?

Let me know if you have any ideas on things that are good to have. I can't afford much now, but anything worth while will be looked into :D In the meantime, I'm going to bed z_z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please to Meet