Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I have been biking, see?

This is what I did this morning when I couldn't sleep at 4 am:

Google says 10.2 miles.

The other day I biked to Alta Plaza to play tennis, so I started off doing that same route -- straight down Castro and Divis over the couple of hills. Then for a fleeting second I had the idea I might ride to the beach, but the hill up Geary to the Richmond made me think I should take advantage of the fact that it was 4 am and ride downtown while there are no cars, so I bombed down Post (as much as one can bomb while mostly obeying traffic signals) and meandered my way down Market to the Embarcadero. From there on the ride was very familiar, since I just took the Embarcadero to Townsend and did my homeward commute. Sun was just coming out when I got back and I breakfasted on leftover Vietnamese sandwich. Gonna grab a soy latte on the way to work, I think, leave a bit early.

It was pretty trippy riding around downtown -- I am not (yet?) brave enough to attempt Market during the day, even though it has bike lanes. Everything is really different from a bike, for whatever reason. I was going pretty fast past Union Square, since the lights were lining up for me at that second...

Anyways, hope I make it through the day without getting too sleepy. I'm really glad I went out. I spent about an hour on the bike, which is great, since I am going to a movie after work with a friend, so will probably take BART downtown instead of riding.

On days I have been commuting, it's been great. They installed a bike rack in our side of the office, too, now, so there is more parking. Riding both directions is second nature, so I hardly have to think about it anymore. There was one day I didn't get over soon enough for the turn onto Harrison from Division, which was frustrating, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Off to shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please to Meet